Colorized image of the Portsmouth General Hospital. In 1923, a third floor and and two wings greatly changed the appearance of the Hempstead Hospital located at 2001 Scioto Trail. It was renamed the Portsmouth General Hospital in 1925. It became Scioto Memorial Hospital in 1964 and moved to Twenty-Seventh (27th) Street in 1968. This building was razed in 2006.
Image of the Park Hospital. The hospital was established on May 2, 1902 when local physicians Dr. S. S. Halderman and Dr. J. S. Rardin opened a facility for the care of the sick and injured. It could comfortably care for twenty patients and was located 44 East Ninth (9th) Street facing Tracy Park. In 1908 it merged with Hempstead Hospital on Scioto Trail.
Colorized image of Mercy Hospital. Mercy Hospital was opened July 15, 1921,with twenty-seven beds in the expanded Baron family homestead on Kinney's Lane. In January 1923 construction of the new five story 50-bed hospital was begun. At the left side, this view includes the Mercy Chapel dedicated on May 28, 1966, the same time as the "West Wing" addition to the building. It was all razed in 2001.
Colorized image of the first Mercy Hospital, which opened July 15, 1921 in the Baron family homestead which was enlarged and remodeled to accommodate twenty-seven beds. John Baron had deeded the property on Kinney's Lane for the location of a hospital. In January 1923 construction of the new five story 50-bed building was begun. After additions and expansions in the 50's and 60's, the building was razed in 2001.
Description
Colorized image of Mercy Hospital. Mercy Hospital was opened July 15, 1921 with twenty-seven beds in the expanded Baron family homestead on Kinney's Lane. In January 1923 construction of the new five story 50-bed hospital was begun. After additions and expansions in the 50's and 60's, the building was razed in 2001.
Colorized image of Mercy Hospital in Portsmouth. Mercy Hospital was opened July 15, 1921 with twenty-seven beds in the expanded Baron family homestead on Kinney's Lane. In January 1923 construction of the new five story 50-bed hospital was begun. After additions and expansions in the 50's and 60's, the building was razed in 2001.