Colorized image of the Second Presbyterian Church located on Waller and Eighth (8th) Streets. The congregation had built its original building at the same location in 1875 when First Presbyterian expanded. This building of "Humellstown Brownstone" was dedicated December 3, 1911.
Black and white photo image of the First Presbyterian Church located at 221 Court Street at the corner of Third (3rd) Street. The lighter building on the right was built about 1850 and has walls made of two-foot thick native brick. It is listed on the National Historic Register. The building at the left is the Sunday School built in 1910.
Colorized image of the First Presbyterian Church located at 221 Court Street at the corner of Third ( 3rd) Street. It was built about 1850 and has walls made of two-foot thick native brick. It is listed on the National Historic Register.
Black and white photo image of a group of unknown individuals standing around the First United Brethren Church located at the corner of Seventh (7th) and Gay Streets. On the back, written in pen is "Cornerstone laying U. B. Church, 1917"
Colorized image of the Bigelow M. E. Church located at 415 Washington Street since 1858. Bigelow was named after Russell H. Bigelow, 1793-1835. He was a Methodist circuit rider, missionary to Indians, and chaplain of Ohio Penitentiary. As of 1984, the non-denominational congregation is known as Bigelow Church.
Colorized image of the First United Methodist Church located on Seventh (7th) and Gay Streets. The church was first founded in 1865 and was built in the Gothic style of the time period. Thirty years later, services in German were taken out and changed to English sermons. In 1918, the new building (the one on this card) was completed and the congregation was moved to Gay Street.
Black and white photo image of the interior of the First M. E. Church located on Seventh (7th) and Gay Streets. The church was first founded in 1865 and was built in the Gothic style of the time period. Thirty years later, services in German were taken out and changed to English sermons.
Black and white image of the first Bigelow Church. It was built in 1834 by C. C. Hyatt. It was located at 342 Second (2nd) Street. Reverend George Crum was the first pastor.
Colorized image of some holly with a smaller faded image of the Trinity M. E. Church located at the corner of Gallia and Offnere Streets. On July 16, 1983 the Trinity Church united with the Bigelow United Methodist Church. Members of both churches met at the Old Stone House in West Portsmouth, the birthplace of Methodism in Southern Ohio.