The George D. Scudder School was built in 1929. It was considered a "modern platoon style" school with a gym, cafeteria, and separate areas for classrooms. George Drake Scudder was a prominent Portsmouth resident, attorney and school board member.
The school closed in 1973. The building was used for various Portsmouth City School and Scioto County Schools Administration offices for many years. The building was often referred to as the Scudder Administrative Center.
Elks City Center & Lodge Building
B.P.O.E.-Benevolent Protective Order of Elk No 154
The Elks organization bought the existing house and remodeled for their needs in 1931.
The original house was built by Eli Kinney (about 1849). His brother Philander Kinney lived in the house for some time and later had a succession of owners.