Black and white photo negative of the Joe Schaefer Choice Groceries storefront that was on Market Street. Formerly Schaefer's Food Market from about 1900 until the early 1940s. The grocery store was run by Joseph P. Schaefer and Sons. In the mid-1940s, Schaefer's branched out with larger super markets in the region. The original building was used as a warehouse for many years. Women, children, and a man stand in front. None identified.
Black and white photo negative of an old wharf boat on the Ohio River. The hills of Kentucky can be seen in the background. On image "Old Wharf Boat" is written.
Black and white photo negative of the baseball park in Millbrook Park. The ball park was home to the "Shoemakers," the Portsmouth team of the Ohio State League. It had a large covered grandstand for spectators to view the games. The ball diamond was beside the roller coaster in Millbrook Park. The stacks of the nearby Steel Mill are seen in the background.
Black and white photo negative of a newspaper article on The Portsmouth Spartans win against the New York Giants. The article was in The Portsmouth Times, published on Monday, September 26, 1932.
Black and white photo negative of a newspaper article on a 1932 game against The Portsmouth Spartans and New York Giants. The article was in The Portsmouth Sunday Times on Sunday, September 25, 1932.
Black and white photo negative of Mercy Hospital, presumably in the 1930's. Mercy Hospital was opened in 1921 with twenty-seven beds in the expanded Baron family homestead on Kinney's Lane. This five story 50-bed building was opened on May 1, 1924. After additions and expansions in the 50's and 60's it was razed in 2001.
Black and white photo negative of Mercy Hospital, presumably in the 1930's. Mercy Hospital was opened in 1921 with twenty-seven beds in the expanded Baron family homestead on Kinney's Lane. This five story 50-bed building was opened on May 1, 1924. After additions and expansions in the 50's and 60's it was razed in 2001.
Black and white photo negative of Mercy Hospital. Mercy Hospital was opened in 1921 with twenty-seven beds in the expanded Baron family homestead on Kinney's Lane. This five story 50-bed building was opened on May 1, 1924. After additions and expansions in the 50's and 60's it was razed in 2001.
Black and white photo negative of the new Hempstead Hospital. Opened in 1908, named for Dr. Giles S.B. Hempstead, it was enlarged with a third floor and two wings in 1923. This building at 2001 Scioto Trail became the Portsmouth General Hospital in 1925. It was razed in 2006 after the new hospital was built on 27th Street.