Black and white photo image of the pavilion. Levi York began developing Millbrook Park in 1899. It covered over 85 acres. It was totally dismantled by 1935.
Colorized photo image of the The Irving Drew Company factory building. The 1920 Portsmouth City Directory lists Irving Drew Company locations at 1658-1662 Eleventh (11th) Street and 533-537 Front Street.
Colorized image of the building built on Eighth (8th) Street near Chillicothe Street in 1920 by Dr. Henry A. Schirmann. It was re-named Smith-Everett Hospital by Dr. Charles Smith and Dr. Clyde Everett in 1946. It was expanded as Southern Hills Hospital from 1962 until it closed in 1987. It was opened as Hempstead Manor, a residential home for seniors in 1988.
Colorized image of the church building located at 415 Washington Street since 1858. Bigelow was named after Russell H. Bigelow, 1793-1835. He was a Methodist circuit rider, missionary to Indians, and chaplain of Ohio Penitentiary. As of 1984, the non-denominational congregation is known as Bigelow Church.
Colorized image of the third Portsmouth Masonic Temple Building, built in 1928 at the northeast corner of Sixth (6th) and Chillicothe Streets. The building permit issued in 1927 was the largest permit ever issued in Portsmouth and at nine floors it was the tallest building in Portsmouth.
Colorized image of the Garfield School building, which was built in 1915 at the corner of Gallia Street & Mabert Road. It was enlarged in 1919 and a gymnasium was added in 1957. It closed in 1975 and in 1976 the Scioto County Commissioners bought it. The Vern Riffe School is in the building now.
Colorized image of the Highland School building on Hutchins Street across from Mound Park, before the addition in 1907. In 1956 it was razed after the new Highland School was built on the playground area.
Colorized image of the Wilson School which was built in 1927 on Campbell Avenue between Sixth (6th) & Seventh (7th) Streets. It was the first elementary school to have a gymnasium. Closed in 2006, it was razed in 2007.
Colorized image of the Union Street school building at the northwest corner of Fourth (4th) & Union Streets. It was completed in 1877 and remodeled in 1910. On January 8, 1929 the school was destroyed by fire, thought to be intentionally set. The U S Grant School, built the next year, replaced the Union Street School.