Black and white photo image of Julia Marlowe, a famous actress who was born in England but grew up in Portsmouth. Her original name was Sarah Frances Frost but was changed to Julia Marlowe due to better stage appeal. She rose to fame in the late 1800's and early 1900's, even claiming the titles of the "First Lady of The American Stage" and"World's Greatest Shakespearean Actress."
On the left: several red and pink roses.
On the right: a black and white image of the Grand Opera House was located at 404 Chillicothe Street. The building was built in 1895. A fire damaged it in 1914 and it never reopened as an opera house, but was rebuilt and known for many years as the Kresge Store.
Black and white photo image of Pleasant Green Baptist Church, Portsmouth, Ohio. The church was located at the southeast corner of Findlay and 10th (Tenth) Streets. It was founded in 1865 by six people, formerly of Allen Chapel, in the home of Ann Kerns. Later the group built a brick structure and named the church "Pleasant Green" due to the beautiful nature that surrounded the building. The first pastor was Reverend Butler Harper.
Black and white photo image of Battery "B", 34th Field Artillery, O. N. G. Armory, Portsmouth, Ohio. This unit was a local Ohio National Guard Unit. The armory was located 628 Third (3rd) Street.
Colorized photo image of lakeside scene at Millbrook Park. Levi York began developing Millbrook Park in 1899. It covered over 85 acres. Greatly damaged by the flood, it was totally dismantled by 1935.
Colorized photo image of the church interior. Located at 415 Washington Street since 1858, Bigelow was named after Russell H. Bigelow, 1793-1835. He was a Methodist circuit rider, missionary to Indians, and chaplain of Ohio Penitentiary. As of 1984, the non-denominational congregation is known as Bigelow Church.
Blue tinted image of the Hall. The Knights of St. George No. 101 organized in 1881 and per the 1906 Portsmouth City Directory met in "St. Mary's Hall" at the northeast corner of Fifth and Market Streets. In the 1930 directory the meetings were at "Trinity Lodge" also at the corner of Fifth and Market.