Slightly green tinted image of park and hills. York Park, named for Levi D. York, was located on the Ohio River Bank on Front Street between Chillicothe Street and Washington Street in the early 1900's.
Colored image of Selby Shoe Factory. The Selby Shoe Company reached a peak employment of about 5500 in its factory at Seventh (7th) and Findlay Streets before closing in 1957. There was a tunnel under Findlay Street to the Post Office.
Black & white photo image of the Eastland Theater at 1804 Eleventh (11th) Street at the corner of Hutchins Street. It opened in 1920 and was still listed in the 1954 Portsmouth City Directory.
Handcolored photo of YMCA built in 1906 at 2829 Gallia Street (at the end of Norfolk Street) by the N & W Railroad for railroad employees sleeping quarters. It was closed in 1960 and razed in 1968.
Black and white photo image of the Devil's Den, a small alcove in the trees on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River. Portsmouth can be seen from the area.
Black & white photo image of the church building and neighboring houses. Upper left corner has young woman in a hat other- three corners floral motif above the building river scene. Grand View also Grandview Avenue
Sepia tone photo image of the LaRoy Theatre located at 848 Gallia Street. The name LaRoy came from the owners' names, Simon Labold and Dan W. Conroy. It opened in 1926 to a crowd of thousands, according to a Portsmouth Times article. The building was razed in 1974 to widen Gay Street.